Certified translation

Certified translation More and more of you are likely to travel, settle or study abroad, or even emigrate. Such a decision will have a big impact on your life, so it is best not to let an amateur take charge of your future.If you are an individual in need of a sworn or certified translator who is registered with a Court of Appeal, then you have come to the right place.

Au Fil de la Plume® provides translation services to private individuals. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information. We are available from Mondays to Fridays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays for emergencies for emergencies* only (if you are hospitalised, involved in an accident or a customs incident etc.).

The following documents usually require a certified translation:

  • documents issued by a government authority: marriage, birth and death certificates, family civil status records, passports, a certificate proving one is unmarried...
  • documents issued by administrative authorities: character references, criminal records, qualifications, medical certificates, driving licenses, proofs of ownership...
  • documents issued by an authorised professional person: medical certificates and test results, certificates of employment, work references, a reference from a bank, import-export certificates, certificates of conformity (for vehicles), registration certificates, invoices...
  • letters or documents from other authorised bodies: exit permits for minors to leave the country, witness testimonies...
  • deeds and legal correspondence

Please be aware that this list is not exhaustive. It only mentions the most frequent requests for certified translations which we have received from private individuals over the last 5 years.

When you are making your plans it is easy to forget about translations and so you will find some practical tips below.

"Here is some helpful advice on getting your translations done."

1 You are about to marry the love of your life, who is a foreign national. Do not forget to ask your local town hall for a list of the documents which need to be translated and certified as compliant. You will also need an interpreter for the civil ceremony. Do not leave all this until the last minute. The number of weddings blossoms in the spring and interpreters can only attend one at a time. Three months before the big day, collect together the birth certificates, declarations that you are unmarried, divorce records etc. and send them off for translation. Book your interpreter for the wedding date at the same time.

2 If you are moving abroad, your host country will require translations of all the documents which prove your identity. So before you leave, make sure that you consult the embassy to find out what these documents are, so that you can have them translated. You will save valuable time and avoid any unnecessary stress. Again, if you have been preparing your departure for some time, then three months before leaving you should assemble all of the required documents for yourself and for your family, and send them to your translator.

3 If you are going to study abroad, do not wait for the academic year to start before getting your documents, qualifications and test scores translated. Make sure you add the official translation of your documents onto your "to do" list. Do not leave it until the last minute.

4 If you are a foreigner and you wish to move to France or you are already here and would like to stay, have your papers translated before the deadlines pass, and do not leave it until the last minute for any documents which need renewing. If you need a document renewed, then use your original translator. If, for example, they have already translated your birth certificate, there will only be a few details to modify, which will make it less expensive.

5 If you plan to go on holiday to a foreign country accompanied by children, you should find out what this involves. Some countries now require a translation of a number of official documents. Do not leave it to trust.

The expert translator registered with a Court of Appeal has taken an oath and pledged to make their services available to the French authorities 24 hours a day, 7 days of the week.

"The expert translator registered with a Court of Appeal has taken an oath"

They are therefore generally available at weekends for hospitals, the police, customs and other law enforcement services, who may need to call on them in an emergency.

For this reason, we ask you not to contact your translator on Saturdays and Sundays, as like you, and unless duty calls, weekends are for family time.

Imagine one of the following or something similar happens, and you feel you cannot wait until Monday morning to contact us. Then send us an email immediately, with URGENT in the title and above all attach the documents which you need to have translated. We will deal with your request as a priority.
  • If your partner has just proposed, congratulations! But you can wait until Monday to call and give us the good news ; do not worry, we will respond promptly, especially if champagne and canapés are involved!
  • Or, if you are getting married in a week's time and you have completely forgotten to get your documents translated. Ouch ... but absent-mindedness is neither an emergency nor a case of force majeure. After a relaxing weekend, we will be in better shape to make up for your forgetfulness.